Chainsaws are portable and mechanical tools that comprise of a high speed rotating chain running along a guide bar. They are very useful in performing activities like limbing, bucking, pruning and harvesting firewood at home.
Two widely-known types of chainsaws are a gas-powered and battery-powered chainsaw. Their prices also vary with some costing under 200 while others cost more than 300 and 500 USA dollars. Your choice for a chainsaw should be dependent on several factors. In this article, we have compiled some of the best chainsaw under 500 and below table is our top three picks.
|Name||Husqvarna 455 rancher chainsaw||Dewalt dccs620b cordless chainsaw||Oregon cordless 16-inch chainsaw|
|Weight||12.8 lbs||8.8 lbs||12 lbs|
|Bar length||20 inches||16 inches||16-Inches|
Chainsaw costing less than $500 detailed Review
Husqvarna 455 rancher chainsaw
If there are tools trusted across the world are the one made by Husqvarna. They are tools you can count on even if you are a commercial person dealing with large projects or a homeowner who need woodworking and garden tools.
In our research for best chainsaw 2019 that you can buy, we came across Husqvarna 455 chainsaw that is ergonomically designed allowing a homeowner to operate with ease. It is a powerful gas chainsaw that is easy to start because it uses modern smart start technology.
This saw can be useful when pruning, limbing or even cutting firewood at home or in the forest. In some gas-powered chainsaws, dust particles can easily reach engine air filter but this is not the case with Husqvarna 455 rancher because it uses injection centrifugal air cleaning system.
Another thing I love about this chainsaw is anti-vibration system that is capable of minimizing vibration making it more comfortable while working.
- 20-inch gas chainsaw that comes with a guide bar and chain.
- 55cc engine size.
- The engine is 2 cycle.
- The chain brake is intertie activated for safety while working.
- Steady oil supply to the bar and chain by automatic chain oiler for efficient use.
- For quick chain adjustments, the chainsaw has a side-mounted tension system.
- Weighs only 8 pounds.
- Heavy-duty chainsaw perfect for landowners and homeowners.
- The air filter is easy to clean and replace.
- Several safety features and top quality chainsaw.
- Has a tough gear for tough cutting especially when cutting hardwoods.
- Wrong clutch mounting.
- No warranty
Dewalt dccs620b cordless chainsaw
Several drawbacks come with operating a gas-powered chainsaw. For example, they have a cold starts and fumes pollute the environment making them very unfriendly. These chainsaws also require a lot of maintenance especially cleaning the engine and you can have carburetor issues at a time when you need the tool to operate perfectly to complete some work.
To avoid all this, you have to think of purchasing a cordless chainsaw like Dewalt dccs620b that is operated using a battery. This battery-powered chainsaw is built to withstand tough jobs that you can come across like beam cutting, demolition works and cutting tree limbs. To maximize user control and for easier use, this chainsaw is light. In order to increase motor life and runtime, Dewalt dccs620b cordless chainsaw uses Brushless motor technology. Actually, this is the best inexpensive chainsaw you can find on the market.
- 12-inch cordless chainsaw.
- 20 volts maximum battery for longer runtime.
- Weighs only 9lbs with battery.
- 90 cuts per charge.
- Chain speed:25.2 ft/s
- Has low kickback.
- Has Oregon bar and chain saw perfect for outdoor cutting jobs.
- Compact design and lightweight for maximizing user control.
- The motor is brushless for efficient running and increasing motor life.
- Do not need a tool to change chain tension.
- Has knob for proper bar clamping force.
- It is a Bare Tool i.e. does not come with Battery and charger.
Oregon cordless 16-inch chainsaw
Oregon CS300 is another cordless chainsaw that starts instantly and it is capable of cutting through tree trunks and limbs with ease. Just like other modern saws, it uses brushless motor technology that delivers high power i.e. speed and torque.
To ensure zero-emission, the chainsaw has a 40v maximum battery, which produces enough power for cutting various material types. Sharpening chain can be done in seconds because the tool has a PowerSharp system meaning you cannot have downtime while operating because the chain is dull.
- Weighs only 12lbs with battery.
- 16-inch guide bar.
- 250 and 600 cuts per battery charge.
- 2-3 inch cuts.
- Fully-charged 2.6 Ah battery
- Brushless motor.
- Automatic oiler.
- Chain speed with load is 2796 fpm.
- Has brushless motor that delivers high torque and power for cutting.
- For easier handling, the weight is distributed.
- Built-in Sharpening system.
- Chain tensioning system is tool-less.
- Environment-friendly i.e. no emission.
- No perfect for serious work.
- Expensive chainsaw.
Greenworks 16-inch 40v cordless chainsaw
Power and runtime of any cordless chainsaw are dependent on its battery capability to hold a charge. Sunrise Global Marketing that is an LLC in the USA has done this perfect by maximizing the use of Lithium-Ion technology. They are producing some of the best cordless chainsaws that are nowadays alternative to gas-powered chainsaws. Their chainsaws produce 30% more torque and with minimal vibration of less than 70% compared with gas saws.
One of their tool in the market that stands out is Greenworks 16-inch 40v cordless chainsaw. This tool uses modern brushless technology that aims at increasing tool life, more efficiency and reducing noise while maintaining the required torque for tough jobs. Actually, this is the only battery-powered chainsaw that is capable of replacing old gas-powered saws.
If you are a first time user or a veteran in woodwork, this chainsaw is perfect because of its features like heavy-duty Oregon bar and chain.
- 16-inch guide bar and chain.
- 150 cuts per charge.
- Weighs only 10.4 lbs.
- 40V Brushless Chainsaw.
- Saw Pitch:0.375 inches
- Easy to use features like automatic oiler.
- Comes with several safety features like chain brake and metal bucking spikes.
- A high-performance chainsaw can get all homework done quickly.
- Perfect cordless chainsaw for replacing gas-powered chainsaws.
- Uses a brushless system that is very efficient.
- Produces less noise.
- Battery life indicator for smooth operation.
- Automatic chain tensioning system.
- Electronic chain brakes for preventing kickbacks.
- It leaks bar oil everywhere.
Husqvarna 450 gas-powered chain saw
This is another powerful gas-powered chainsaw from Husqvarna who are makers of exceptional products that are dedicated to hard work. The only difference between Husqvarna 450 and 455 is the bar length with one being 20 inch and other 18 inches.
Husqvarna 450 is a powerful gas chainsaw that is a valuable tool for professionals and homeowners. Below are some of the features that I love in this chainsaw.
1.8 Horsepower X-Torg Engine
The 450 engine is very powerful that delivers 3.2-horsepower hence suitable for small and heavy-duty jobs. Its engine also uses X-Torg technology that has fewer emission levels up to 60% and reduced gas consumption i.e. 30% less.
Durable engine designed for long life
To withstand several years of usage, the engine is made using 3-piece crankshaft that is forged and compressed for durability. The saw has a centrifugal air cleaning system helps in removing debris and particles that can reduce engine life if they reach the filter.
Once you purchase Husqvarna chainsaw, you will not have to waste time trying to start the engine because this chainsaw uses choke/stop control that allows engine to start easily with reduced risk of flooding.
To reduce fatigue, this chainsaw has a lightweight frame that minimizes fatigue while operating. You can work for longer hours because LowVib anti-vibration dampeners are capable of absorbing vibration. The rear handle also has soft inlay and an ergonomic trigger.
- 2 Horsepower output.
- 50.2 cc engine size.
- Chainsaw speed of 9600 RPM.
- Large tank size capable of holding 0.95 pints.
- Maximum chain speed 56.89 ft.
- Chainsaw weighs 11.33 pounds.
- Engine equipped with smart start ensures an easy to start.
- Has labor warranty.
- Easy to operate because the saw has an auto-return stop switch.
- Visible fuel level to indicate the amount of gas available.
- Changing spark plugs is easy because the saw has Snap-lock cylinder.
- Tool-less chain tensioning system and bar assembling.
- Quick air filter release.
- Transparent fuel indicator for checking the gas level.
- Reduced chances of kickback because of inertia activated chain brake.
- For easier starting, the air purge function helps in removing the air out of the carburetor.
- 2-year warranty.
- It is a very powerful chainsaw therefore not perfect for a starter.
Tanaka tcs33edtp 12-inch chain saw
Tanaka tcs33edtp is an unpopular best chainsaw value available for commercial pruning, shaping and doing DIY projects. The engine is powerful and fuel consumption is less compared with other gas chainsaws.
One feature I love this chainsaw is the engine that it Is a 2-stroke meaning it produces less emission, therefore, you do not require internal moving parts. For easier cuts and control, this tool has a sprocket nose bar and Oregon chain.
- 32.2 cc 2-stroke commercial engine.
- Optional 14-inch bar and chain.
- Mix ratio for fuel is 50:1
- For easy start and warm-up, the chainsaw has half throttle choke that has purge primer bulb.
- Has Sprocket nose bar that has Oregon chain for making cuts easily.
- 7-year consumer warranty.
- Automatic gear-driven oiler.
- Easy access to chain tension system for chain adjusting.
- Comes with anti-vibration system for providing comfort while operating.
- For easy climbing, the chainsaw has a built-in lanyard.
- Easy access the rear air filter.
- The chain does not get oiled properly.
Poulan pd4218 gas chainsaw
I actually cannot tell why this Poulan gas chainsaw is referred to as Predator. This tool is ideal for light and medium jobs like firewood cutting and limbing. It is gas chainsaw with a super clean engine that gives the user a longer working period before you can clean the air filter.
Other key features
- Has ant vibration system that increases comfort and reduces fatigue while operating.
- Automatic chain and bar oiler.
- It is the best small chainsaw gas that is affordable.
- 42 cc engine with two strokes.
- 1-year warranty.
- Chain pitch is 3/8 inches.
- Chain gauge is 0.050 inches.
What chainsaw is the best
Finding the best chainsaw to cater for your needs can be a very hard task especially for a starter. If you are willing to spend at least 500 dollars, you should know what to look for. Below are some of the factors that can be of help when buying the best chainsaw under $500.
Chainsaw power is very important because that what determines the cutting capacity. In gas-powered chainsaws, the engine size determines the cutting capacity whereas in electric chainsaws battery voltage is a big determinant in cutting capacity. If you are looking for a chainsaw for performing serious hard work you had better consider purchasing a gas-powered chainsaw with engine cc over 50. Most electric chainsaws are less powerful and are suitable for pruning small tree branches etc.
Most buyers often look for the best chainsaw brand. Common brands popular among buyers include the following:-
- Stihl chainsaw.
- Husqvarna chainsaw.
- Ellsworth chainsaw.
We have done several chainsaw reviews and have determined brands that are suitable for a home consumer. A good chainsaw brand should have a warranty of more than a year and good customer support with a toll-free line. Customer reviews can be very helpful when determining suitable chainsaw brand.
Gas vs electric powered chainsaw
Chainsaws can be categorized into two main categories that are gas and electric chainsaws. Electric chainsaws can further be put into two categories i.e. cordless and corded chainsaws. Most electric chainsaws are cordless meaning they are battery-powered. In terms of power, gas chainsaws are more powerful compared with electric chainsaws. For serious tree loggers, gas chainsaws are the best because they are more powerful.
Ease of use
A good chainsaw that is easy to use should require no extra tools to operate or change inbuilt systems. An easy to use chainsaw should have the following features:-
- Chain bar and bar oiling should be automatic.
- Anti-vibration system that is capable of reducing vibration.
- Chain adjustment should be done easily without any tool.
- Half throttle choke for quick engine start-up.
- If it is a gas-powered chainsaw, transparent fuel indicator should tell you fuel level when operating.
- A modern chainsaw should have PowerSharp system for sharpening the chain in order to avoid downtime.
Noise level and vibration
Gas chainsaws are very noisy and vibrate more than electric chainsaws. There are several effects of hard-arm vibration for example:-
- Loss of light touch.
- Grip loss.
- Finger and wrists bone cysts.
- Loss of finger sensation.
To avoid noise and extra vibration, electric chainsaws are great especially for someone who has medium or small jobs to complete. If you are a professional, you have to put up with noise and vibration.
What is the best chainsaw to buy
No one can choose for you the best chainsaw. Your chainsaw choice depends on several factors that include the saw budget. We cannot decide what a perfect chainsaw but we can help you by giving you guiding factors that most buyers look for when buying a saw tool. Mostly a good chainsaw should be easy to use; it should also have safety features that ensure you are safe while operating.
How much does a chainsaw cost
In this article, we have considered one question i.e. what to buy with 500 dollars. Most professional chainsaw users are willing to spend at least 500 dollars to buy a chainsaw. If you do not have that amount of money, you should not be worried because there are chainsaws that cost less than 200 dollars.
Chainsaw price should not be an important factor because most of the cheap tools have no safety features. Your choice for a chainsaw should not be tied to cost but safety features and cutting capacity.
What size chainsaw for cutting trees
Chainsaws have various uses other than cutting trees. They are useful when pruning and reducing logs to sizes that are manageable. Cutting capacity is one of the big factors that buyers consider when making a choice for a chainsaw. If you want a saw for often-light cutting jobs, you should consider a chainsaw with 16 or 18-inch chain bar. A chainsaw in this range is mostly considered a general-purpose tool that is capable of cutting big and thick tree trunks.
Where to buy chainsaw
It does not matter where you purchase a chainsaw provided the store is verified supplier with warranty. Most buyers who want to avoid transport cost prefer purchasing their chainsaws online on sites like amazon. Most sellers on top sites are verified and their tools are legit.
In this article, we have highlighted some of the best chainsaw under 500 that you can purchase. We have also outlined some of the choosing factors that are very helpful when buying a chainsaw. It’s our hope this post will help you in choosing the right top rate chainsaw for your daily work.
My name is Peter Manish. Apart from playing football during the weekends, I am a Do it yourself guy who love fixing anything in the house or backyard. Am the owner of this site and here i review some of the DIY tools that i use on a daily basis. Thank you for stopping by and reading my content.