When purchasing a miter saw even if it is from a top brand like Dewalt it is always a hard task because there are several factors you have to consider. For example, you will ask yourself, what size is the best, should the tool be able to make single or double bevel cuts and should it be a non-sliding or sliding miter saw.
Every miter saw buyer wants to purchase the best tool they can find on the market and spend a very little amount of money. Buying any type of tool should be a process that involves detailed research. First, you should ask yourself the type of work you will be doing with the saw, the power suitable for you and cuts that you will be making. After understanding all that, it can be easy to decide between single bevel vs double bevel miter saw.
In this article, we will detail differences between the Single vs double bevel sliding system in most miter saws.
What bevel means in miter saws
A miter saw is a very important tool that every serious woodworker or carpenter needs in day-to-day operations. They are useful in cutting tight fitting joints when making windows, doors, picture frames and cupboards. What is a bevel cut with a miter saw?.
Bevel is an edge of a material with an angle that is less than 90 degrees. Mostly, carpenters make bevel edges when making cabinets and other types of home furniture.
A simple standard miter saw comprises of a blade rotating at high speed and is capable of making straight cuts at 90 degrees.
Comparison of the two
What is Single bevel miter saw
A single bevel miter saw is a tool capable of making bevel cuts in only one direction i.e. either right or left. This means if you want to make cuts on the other side of the wood you will have to flip it on the stand so that it can meet the saw blade.
The act of flipping every piece of material that you want to cut makes this tool-less efficient and reliable especially for someone who has large projects to work on.
- They are affordable costing less than one hundred dollars because they are small in size
- A perfect tool for both professionals and homeowners looking for a woodworking tool.
- In terms of usability, double or dual bevel miter saw are complex whereas single bevel saws are easy to use because the blade can only tilt in only one direction.
- It is portable and lightweight therefore easy to move in the workshop.
- A miter saw with a single bevel sliding system reduces the working speed because you have to flip every workpiece you are cutting on.
- Creates more room of making errors because after flipping the material you have to align it correctly to make another cut.
- Not perfect for cutting long pieces of material especially in a small workshop with limited flipping space.
What is a dual bevel miter saw
Double bevel miter saws are also referred to as dual bevel saws. They are special types of miter saws that are capable of making bevel cuts in both directions without having to flip the piece of material you are working on.
Dual bevel saws are widely used by professional woodworkers who are looking for powerful tools capable of making accurate, fast and several cuts in a fraction of a minute.
- Easy to make angle cuts on all directions on a piece of wood by just tilting the blade from one side to another.
- They are more quick and efficient in woodcutting.
- Capable of making dual bevels on all sides that are precise and accurate.
- More wide range of complex cuts that single bevel miter saw cannot make.
- They are quite heavy therefore perfect for professional woodworkers looking for a powerful dual bevel sliding compound miter saw.
- Relatively expensive compared with single bevel saws.
Now you have to make the right decision between single bevel vs double bevel saw. If you are a homeowner looking for a tool for undertaking DIY projects, a single bevel miter saw is the right tool for you. It is cheap, lightweight and not complex for beginners.
For the serious woodworker who undertakes large projects, then double bevel mitre saw is the best because of it is more accurate, powerful and capable of working on a large load of jobs since there is no flipping of workpiece.
I hope this article will help you in choosing the right tool. I recommend you to read Dewalt Dws779 Vs Dws780 miter saw comparison article. They are some of the best miter saws available in the market.
My name is Peter Manish. Apart from playing football during the weekends, I am a Do it yourself guy who love fixing anything in the house or backyard. Am the owner of this site and here i review some of the DIY tools that i use on a daily basis. Thank you for stopping by and reading my content.