Wondering what single bevel means on a miter saw, first you need to understand what a miter saw is and what it does.
A miter saw is a workshop tool that is useful in making a precise and accurate cross and miters cuts. Miter saw comprises a backsaw or circular saw, which is mounted on an arm. The arm is capable of swinging from left to right to make angle cuts.
Miter saws are also referred to as drop saw or chop saw. These types of saws can make cuts for picture frames, windows frames, door frames, etc. There are 3 different types of miter saws.
Different types of miter saw
- Compound miter saw-These are types of miter saws that are capable of rotating to make cuts in 90 degrees and even more angles. For example, you can use this type of saw when crown molding.
- Sliding compound miter saw-These are types of miter saws that have a sliding rail which moves the saw head back and forth. The fact that the blade is mobile; you can be able to cut a wide piece of wood.
- Dual compound miter saw-When using a dual compound miter saw you do not have to turn your workpiece. This saw is capable of tilting from right to left to cut material in any angle i.e. bevel cuts.
Some miter saws are more advanced and they have Laser or LED light to guide the user to make accurate cuts.
Single bevel miter saw vs Double bevel miter saw
Single and double bevel miter saws are tools that are used to make different types of angle cuts or bevel cuts. Before even you can understand the difference between these two saws, first you should learn what a bevel is.
Bevel is an edge that has an angle that is less than 90 degrees. Therefore, beveling is cutting materials in horizontal or vertical making angles that are less than 90 degrees e.g. 45 degrees.
A single bevel miter saw can only make bevel cuts on one direction i.e. either left or right. To make another cut you have to turn the wood or stone whereas double bevel miter saws are capable of making bevel cuts in all direction without having to turn your workpiece.
Now we can understand what does single bevel mean on a miter saw. It means a saw that is capable of making bevel cuts only in one direction.
Best single bevel miter saw
Before you can pick the single bevel miter saw, first you need to read miter saw reviews consumer reports. They will help you in giving you insights, which are the best miter saw for a homeowner looking for a DIY tool. Below is my pick for the top single bevel compound miter saw that would not break your bank.
Hitachi c10fch2 10-inch compound miter saw
Hitachi miter saw c10fch2 is a dream tool for everyone who wants to work on any piece of wood material like plywood, hardboard, soft fiberboard or aluminum sashes. This 10-inch compound miter saw comes integrated with a laser maker that helps in providing accurate and precise miter and crosscuts in any material.
It is a perfect saw for beginners who can hardly make an accurate cut. Even carpenters, woodworkers and framers will love this versatile tool because of cutting capability. It is important to note that makers of this saw Hitachi LTD is a company that is based in the USA, which provides powerful tools for drilling, cutting and fastening metals, wood, concrete, etc.
Not only does this company make tools, but they also lead in research. Actually, they are the first makers of sliding compound miter saw, which combines mobile radial arm, and a miter saw.
I love several features about Hitachi c10fch2 10-inch compound miter saw. Below are a few.
- Laser guide system for making precise and accurate cuts.
- Power motor 15AMP for cutting tough materials.
- Capable of beveling from 0-52 degrees from left to right.
- Soft horizontal handle.
- Elastomer grip for reducing vibration effect.
- Hitachi c10fch2 manual, which is easy to read and follow.
- Pivoting flip fence.
- Portable weighing only 26.5lbs.
- Dust collector, which helps in minimizing airborne particles.
Best dual bevel miter saw
There are 2 double bevel miter saws I would like to review i.e Dewalt dws779 and dws780 but I will review only one Dws 780.
Dewalt dws780 12-inch double bevel sliding compound miter saw
For homeowner or contract looking for a dual bevel sliding compound miter saw, Dewalt Dws 780 12 inch sliding miter saw is the best choice. This is the right tool for double beveling and making accurate cuts on any material.
Dws 780 has 15 Amp motor, which is perfect for cutting any tough hard material. To make accurate and precise cuts, this system has an XPS positioning system, which guides the user.
- Rugged guards for precise casting.
- Stainless steel plates tough for withstanding all touch conditions.
- Capable of beveling in both left and right directions from 0 t0 49 degrees.
- Powerful 15AMP motor, which delivers 3800RPM that, is capable of cutting any tough material.
- Improved dust collection system.
- Capable of cutting 16-inch cuts.
Single vs double bevel mean two different things and that where the double and single miter saw come in. You need to understand their differences before making a purchase of the best miter saw. Most homeowners prefer buying 10-inch sliding miter saw and dual bevel sliding compound miter saw that cut accurately.
My name is Peter Manish. Apart from playing football during the weekends, I am a Do it yourself guy who love fixing anything in the house or backyard. Am the owner of this site and here i review some of the DIY tools that i use on a daily basis. Thank you for stopping by and reading my content.